STALKERSOUP

Everything about the STALKERSOUP game...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Bolt the Traitor
by pchester Today at 20:38

» Ghosts Diary
by pchester Today at 20:37

» how do you get the mobile dealer to show up ?
by pchester Today at 20:34

» So far in 110014.1
by grayxy Today at 17:50

» Some helmet overlays too bright/distracting at night; and how to keep mask sound?
by beowulf Today at 14:01

» Hey ya!
by beowulf Today at 13:47

» CTD in Pripyat
by Aleks1970 Today at 11:38

» Mines and Explosives
by chucksar Yesterday at 16:32

September 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posting users this week
pchester

_Nite_

Sword2012

kd6dm

supercj1

Latro

kaplumbaga

meadle

grayxy

nemisis1842khann

Statistics
We have 202 registered users
The newest registered user is Decotti

Our users have posted a total of 2117 messages in 207 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 19 on Fri 4 Aug 2017 - 17:24

Share | 

Game files being slowly damaged?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nemisis1842khann
Experienced

PostSubject: Game files being slowly damaged?   Wed 9 Aug 2017 - 9:54

This is a question for the very clever members on SS, is there a possibility
that the game files could get damaged with continue playing of the game,
as the game is not on disc like that one loads to play,
when one plays over and over again, why I ask is that as I have played the
game and restarted many times, or 'may be its my set up is that's due
for retirement' because I appear to be getting many cdt's and lock ups
and the log gives no reasons, I do not want to send basket loads of logs
to TB as he has enough on his plate, or may be a total uninstall and start
again from scratch is the answer, [answers on a post card please! ]
Back to top Go down
_Nite_
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Game files being slowly damaged?   Wed 9 Aug 2017 - 10:02

Most of th CTD's your getting are not damaged files, it just the 32 bit limit of the code, common crashes are out of memory errors, C stack overflow, xrgame.dll errors, etc, TB is well aware of it

This will all be fixed when he releases a 64 bit version of the game engine

Until the new game engine is out, he recommends you save and quit the game with each map transition just to refresh the memory.
Back to top Go down
nemisis1842khann
Experienced

PostSubject: Re: Game files being slowly damaged?   Wed 9 Aug 2017 - 10:24

Hi _nite_, I will give that a try, with a total crash I get every thing seems to lock up solid, so to
pre-empt things would seem to be good thinking, I suppose watch this space and let you know
how it goes, but still its good thinking all the same, thanks
Back to top Go down
Sword2012

PostSubject: Re: Game files being slowly damaged?   Wed 9 Aug 2017 - 11:00

nemisis1842khann wrote:
when one plays over and over again, why I ask is that as I have played the game and restarted many times, or 'may be its my set up is that's due for retirement'

Hi nemisis1842khann. As a matter of interest, what's the specification of your system, so we can advise if it's actually due for retirement, or perfectly capable of playing with the game with a few possible adjustments?

It makes no difference if it's on a disc or not, because the game runs from your installed RAM, not directly from your hard drive. A disc would have simply loaded the game into your RAM too. In fact, there would probably have been more chance of your disc wearing out with constant playing...
Back to top Go down
_Nite_
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Game files being slowly damaged?   Wed 9 Aug 2017 - 13:38

oh your talking complete system lockups, those I never had just desktop ones, a complete system lockup has to be a computer related issue.
Back to top Go down
nemisis1842khann
Experienced

PostSubject: Re: Game files being slowly damaged?   Wed 9 Aug 2017 - 13:57

Win 7 home premium.

Pross- Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @2.33 GHZ

Installed Mem- 6.00 GB

System type 64-Bit

GC- Nvidia GF GT520

HD 469 GB

Is that what you want..
Back to top Go down
nemisis1842khann
Experienced

PostSubject: Re: Game files being slowly damaged?   Wed 9 Aug 2017 - 14:03

well when it crashes badly the only way is CAD, as I said before its probably age related,
my daughter has a newer one but with win10 64 system, not happy with win10, but she has a 1 TB
hard drive she might share.
Back to top Go down
_Nite_
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Game files being slowly damaged?   Wed 9 Aug 2017 - 14:15

that is a very old system, what game render are you using? the GT 520 is very very low end as well, I would switch to Static Lighting if ya havn't yet.
Back to top Go down
da_raabi
Experienced

PostSubject: Re: Game files being slowly damaged?   Wed 9 Aug 2017 - 15:28

I would imagine the lack of dedicated video memory on your 520 is the issue. I'm running an older rig with a C2Q O'Cd to 3.6Ghz with 4gb of RAM and a 960 video card, and while I do get crashes it is never too distracting. It usually happens right around when I need to head to bed anyway! You have plenty of RAM, but the game will want to see video ram too. That's my bet.
Back to top Go down
nemisis1842khann
Experienced

PostSubject: Re: Game files being slowly damaged?   Wed 9 Aug 2017 - 16:12

It would seem I might need a bigger V card were I can cope with cost, a whole new rig is outa the
question to many numbers of what ever luker, but what VC will fit with the other workings and
give me the guts to cope with SS, any ideas some one, things seem to be so much cheaper over the
pond, so as I say any ideas .....please
Back to top Go down
nemisis1842khann
Experienced

PostSubject: Re: Game files being slowly damaged?   Wed 9 Aug 2017 - 16:16

Woops sorry forgot to mention yes I am on static lighting already .
Back to top Go down
Sword2012

PostSubject: Re: Game files being slowly damaged?   Wed 9 Aug 2017 - 18:09

nemisis1842khann wrote:
System spec:

Is that what you want..

Yes, thanks Smile

A simple update you could do is add another 2Gb of RAM

With a 32 bit limitation the game will take up to 3Gb, while running Windows in the background will take around 4Gb, so you could remove this potential bottleneck in your RAM by taking it up to 8Gb

Otherwise, reducing the number of programs running in the background would help, especially startup programs (use Start, Run, MSConfig to check)

You're a bit short of space for a modern computer, though it isn't a problem for the game. Adding an SSD drive for the game would help load the game levels faster, but it wouldn't help with your resource problem

A good cleanup of your system should help, but if it's old, a fresh installation of Windows would work wonders... Smile
Back to top Go down
nemisis1842khann
Experienced

PostSubject: Re: Game files being slowly damaged?   Wed 9 Aug 2017 - 20:12

Hi there Sword2021.
just as a matter of interest a 'fresh installation of Windows' how could that be done its not
some thing ever encountered to do, I suppose reinstalling programs like win 7 all though it came
with the machine I believe might have the required action, all though it was updated just yesterday,
will have to look into how to get a copy of win7 with out costing the earth, just might be worth it.
thanks for all these options and ideas.
Back to top Go down
Sword2012

PostSubject: Re: Game files being slowly damaged?   Wed 9 Aug 2017 - 21:08

nemisis1842khann wrote:
Hi there Sword2021.
     just as a matter of interest a 'fresh installation of Windows' how could that be done

Hi nemisis1842khann

My apologies, as I didn't know your level of experience with computers. Windows 7 starts getting tired after about 18 months, what with so many programs getting updated, overwritten, and trying to keep up with everything

A fresh installation, followed by bringing everything up to date, works wonders. You'll lose three days of your life doing it, but you'll be glad you did Very Happy

But if you have any qualms about doing it, you may prefer to leave out that part of the recommendations... No

Searching the internet should get you a copy of the obsolete OS cheaply. Just be careful from whom you buy it... Shocked
Back to top Go down
nemisis1842khann
Experienced

PostSubject: Re: Game files being slowly damaged?   Wed 9 Aug 2017 - 21:34

I must admit understanding comps is way above my head but I tend to use common sense on these
things, I am just looked upon as a layman who is willing to learn within reason, I have just been surfing
I think its called to see were its possible to get win7 OS, one has to be very careful today of were
one gets any thing, down another avenue you said was the MSConfig, I looked at that and it seems
about 90% of all in the list appears to be MS and just knowing what to knock out is 'what is that for',
so I must do some research, as I really enjoy SS it keeps me away from house work 'be with you in a
minuet darling' oops to late, poss see if I can up the ram to 8, and see what happens. thanks anyway
for your help.
Back to top Go down
Sword2012

PostSubject: Re: Game files being slowly damaged?   Wed 9 Aug 2017 - 22:13

nemisis1842khann wrote:
down another avenue you said was the MSConfig, I looked at that and it seems about 90% of all in the list appears to be MS and just knowing what to knock out is 'what is that for'

Just tick the 'Hide all Microsoft services' box in 'Services'. Anything left is what you've installed

Check both 'Startup' and 'Services'. Keep anything to do with Intel and your antivirus. The rest is up to you, but it's all eating up memory and CPU cycles... Wink
Back to top Go down
nemisis1842khann
Experienced

PostSubject: Re: Game files being slowly damaged?   Thu 10 Aug 2017 - 10:48

Morning, I did what you said to do and all that it left active was on 'services' my AV, and
on 'startup' was the GC, that was after hide all MS, mind you I went through clearing some of
the junk yesterday, nothing that could not be reloaded or placed on a stick outa harms way,
going to have a word with a local co to see what can be upgraded and keep costs under control,
some thing I all ways find odd is you can buy a whole set up screen/keyboard/mouse etc for
about 6/700 notes and upgrading bits an pieces could cost a grand, any way back to the main
theme, I will restart the game and see were it takes me and reduce the crashes, god willing,
thanks any way all for your help and advice.
Back to top Go down
Sword2012

PostSubject: Re: Game files being slowly damaged?   Thu 10 Aug 2017 - 15:08

nemisis1842khann wrote:

some thing I all ways find odd is you can buy a whole set up screen/keyboard/mouse etc for about 6/700 notes and upgrading bits an pieces could cost a grand

Getting your PC to a local engineer would be a good idea after such a long time without a proper service. Doesn't need to be a company, just find someone who comes recommended. They'll know how to optimize your system to get the best out of what you have

For my clients I'll usually do what the manufacturers couldn't be bothered to do, like repartition a single drive to separate Windows and programs from Data, allowing you to backup your Windows partition to your Data partition for fast recovery without losing data

Also, a basic computer system will always be very different from one that's custom built for you. A basic package is designed to put a pile of matching components together as cheaply as possible to help the supplier make bulk purchases and a good profit on each package sold. It's not bothered about expansion. It designs computers to be thrown away so you have to buy another after a few years...

But an enthusiast will always carefully choose each component in the system, starting with the case, then the motherboard/CPU/memory combination, then the power supply and accessories to suit their needs, budget, and future expansion. They'll research and choose their monitor the same way, and even their mouse/trackball and keyboard, which are very personal indeed

Thus a personal computer built specially for you will always be better than a basic off-the-shelf package, and your local enthusiast/engineer can advise you on this. It'll cost more, but it'll last you longer while doing everything you wanted. I expect any computer of mine to last at least seven years before I'll consider replacing parts of it, and even then it'll usually be just the motherboard/CPU/memory combination

You'll also need need to keep it regularly serviced, and I advise my clients not to leave this for more than 6-8 months, depending on how much they use and value it, because so much can change or affect it during this time

Personally, for a decent, reliable gaming computer I'd expect to spend £350+ on the motherboard/CPU/memory combo. £100 on the case. £100+ on the power supply. £150+ on the graphics card. Making the total £800+ just for the basic components before labor, but most people just want a basic computer for Office and internet, so manufacturers generally cater for this market; and in an area where the customer knows next to nothing about components, price is usually the deciding factor, so the manufacturer simply uses cheaper, under-powered components... Evil or Very Mad

Hoping this helps Smile

Last edited by Sword2012 on Thu 10 Aug 2017 - 17:51; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
nemisis1842khann
Experienced

PostSubject: Re: Game files being slowly damaged?   Thu 10 Aug 2017 - 16:47

I can see where you are coming from with the manufacturers point and and the little man
round the corner with there relevant costs, ones a 1000 and tuther 2 of what ever, another point
you say is getting it serviced that's some thing that I have not considered, probably like a car I
suppose, that might be causing some minor issues like over heating, dust on the fan blades and
making it sluggish and resistance with the air flow to make it go were it needs to, some good
points there, all one has to do is ask the right person to get the right answers, thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Game files being slowly damaged?   

Back to top Go down

Game files being slowly damaged?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1