STALKERSOUP

Everything about the STALKERSOUP game...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Dead City, Parfumer and Doctor.
by pchester Yesterday at 20:57

» The '100 Rads' bar...
by pchester Yesterday at 16:27

» How to go to Fang?
by Chef-70 Yesterday at 9:06

» Special armor questions..
by sjohnson Yesterday at 8:47

» Which weapon fires 9x18mm +P+
by Chef-70 Sun 15 Jul 2018 - 9:08

» Flasks at Army Warehouses
by Hipster Doofus Fri 13 Jul 2018 - 1:08

» The Heart of the Poltergeist
by sjohnson Thu 12 Jul 2018 - 9:58

» Generators and 'switch distance'
by kd6dm Wed 11 Jul 2018 - 22:23

July 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posting users this week
Rat Catcher

sjohnson

pchester

Chef-70

Alphabet Soup

joy division

Statistics
We have 538 registered users
The newest registered user is kohike

Our users have posted a total of 6259 messages in 717 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 26 on Sat 7 Apr 2018 - 5:10

Share | 

Some doubts about the story...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nokoyou
Experienced

PostSubject: Some doubts about the story...   Thu 12 Apr 2018 - 18:58

MEGA SPOILER:

Back to top Go down
pchester

PostSubject: Re: Some doubts about the story...   Thu 12 Apr 2018 - 21:51

I'm not sure how much this will help you, but...

As you no doubt know, Stalkersoup is based on several mods, but mostly the Russian(?) total-conversion mod Naradnaya Solyanka. Much of the original text translation was done by machine, probably by someone who didn't speak English and just accepted whatever the machine churned out.

Sword heads the Dialogue Improvement Team here, and they are doggedly working through the myriad of files and, er, improving the dialogue and other text so it actually makes sense. They are doing a great job, but there are an awful lot of files and an awful lot of text for them to improve. Unfortunately, our understanding of what is actually being said at the meeting will probably have to wait until Sword's team reach that point.

(In my current playthrough I have been paying much more attention to the multitude of diary and encyclopedia entries, which provide so much useful background to the game that I didn't know before ... because now I can actually understand it!)

As for the meeting... When you arrive at Agroprom and talk to Ghost, he tells you that there is to be a big meeting of all the Zone's factions to discuss a discovery that the Zone may not last.

Ghost's dialogue: "Yes, by the way, has forgotten to tell to you - today - rare event - an arrow at all clans of the Zone - type of negotiations. All mighty of this world was reached by hearings that the Zone is not eternal and just about will disappear. Therefore - it is declared perimirie for the period of a meeting, and it will take place here. You hear, Vertuhi rustle?"
Marked One: "Helicopters? Yes, I hear"

The overlapping of speech tracks is a problem throughout Stalkersoup.  I don't know the technicalities, but I assume that it is a timing issue from when the original Naradnaya Solyanka Mod was translated and merged into Stalkersoup. TecnoBacon has deliberately tried to keep as much of the original NS (and other mods) as he can, but this does mean that there are places where cutscenes don't make a lot of sense (to me, anyway) within the Stalkersoup universe.

I can only suggest that you do what I do, and "go with the flow" and just enjoy the game for what it is.
Back to top Go down
sjohnson
Master

PostSubject: Re: Some doubts about the story...   Thu 12 Apr 2018 - 22:25

As a (minor) member of the translation team, I can say that translations from the original game are far from straight-forward.

Translators must interpret several Russian dialects (some apparently obscure even to Russian and Ukrainian natives - especially the Bandit banter!), idioms, and blatantly obscene text in the originals in order to provide an English translation that is hoped will be enjoyed by different people in different countries.

I've been working on one particular translation that has taken me over two weeks to battle through 3 or 4 of maybe 8 paragraphs that literally give me headaches. To keep it somewhat "fun" I stop when it becomes a burden.

Like pchester said, enjoy the "flow."  I intend on enjoying the final products, as they reach a finished state and are released by the development team.  Until then we must realize that there are times stuff just "don't make sense."
Back to top Go down
pchester

PostSubject: Re: Some doubts about the story...   Thu 12 Apr 2018 - 23:12

Thanks sjohnson, for the interesting insight into what dialogue improvement actually involves. In my current game I have been trying to cross-reference some of the game dialogue with the text files, and I was amazed at how convoluted it is. Apparently simple discussions can be spread across several files and responses stored in no particular order. I can certainly understand why Sword said he finds it easier to make improvements while actually playing the game. In many cases it is the only way to understand the context.
Back to top Go down
Nokoyou
Experienced

PostSubject: Re: Some doubts about the story...   Fri 13 Apr 2018 - 0:01

Imagine how it is for me, my native language is Spanish (el español wachooo (?), and i teached myself how to understand, write, and speak english so i'm good at that fortunately, but when it comes to understand texts and texts of dialogue that, sometimes, doesn't make any sense... so yeah that... maybe someday translation to spanish will be available, maybe not...
Back to top Go down
sjohnson
Master

PostSubject: Re: Some doubts about the story...   Fri 13 Apr 2018 - 0:39

Again, will translation en Español be straight-forward or difficult?  While doubtful at this late stage in the evolution of SS, someone just might be willing to try a translation.  Nokoyou? lol!

I can translate to and from "normal" Spanish/English all day long using Google translate. In fact Google translate can be so good that its translatiion of a site such as stalker-forever.bestgamesforum.com (the forum with the French Kostya walkthrough) is amazingly clear to someone like me who has no French background.

The SS "Russian" translations?  Using Google translate is only good for 5-10% of the meaning.  The Google-translated game files, to a non-Russian SS player are bad, very bad indeed.  Even "normal" Russian to English mechanical translation is poorly done to the English ear.
Back to top Go down
sjohnson
Master

PostSubject: Re: Some doubts about the story...   Fri 13 Apr 2018 - 2:52

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I can certainly understand why Sword said he finds it easier to make improvements while actually playing the game. In many cases it is the only way to understand the context.
Missed this earlier. Indeed, it is true and also why what you and ALL the other players report about the game is so important. Nuances you may pick up on may be otherwise missed due to trying to juggle the big picture with the minutiae.

Not seeing the trees for the forest comes to mind study

Thank you, pchester, your knowledge of the game currently has no peer.
Back to top Go down
Sword2012
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Some doubts about the story...   Fri 13 Apr 2018 - 3:04

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Again, will translation en Español be straight-forward or difficult?  While doubtful at this late stage in the evolution of SS, someone just might be willing to try a translation.  Nokoyou? lol!

Any native non-English language speaker with a good knowledge of English is welcome to translate the game into their own language. To do this, simply PM Aleks1970 for permission to do so, and you'll be granted full access to the English text files

The main thing you'll need to prove is commitment, because the job will be enormous, and you'll be working totally independently unless you can enlist other of your native speakers onto your own team. The English team won't be able to help you, other than the occasional bit of advice, because we can't work in your native language, and we certainly won't be able to verify anything you write, so you'll be pretty much on your own  Shocked

The job would suit a budding writer, ideally military, technical, or both, who needs work experience, regular literary mental warmups, and an alternative hobby...  Very Happy

Having said that, TB would be happy to have the game translated into as many languages as possible, but only if you can do it justice. If you think you can, then I'd recommend that you wait until we complete the bulk of the English files first, to give you something decent as a foundation with which to work...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some doubts about the story...   

Back to top Go down

Some doubts about the story...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STALKERSOUP :: STALKERSOUP Main discussions-
Jump to: