STALKERSOUP

Everything about the STALKERSOUP game...

HomeFAQRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» CTD in Pripyat
by _Nite_ Today at 21:22

» Bolt the Traitor
by pchester Today at 20:38

» Ghosts Diary
by pchester Today at 20:37

» how do you get the mobile dealer to show up ?
by pchester Today at 20:34

» So far in 110014.1
by grayxy Today at 17:50

» Some helmet overlays too bright/distracting at night; and how to keep mask sound?
by beowulf Today at 14:01

» Hey ya!
by beowulf Today at 13:47

» Mines and Explosives
by chucksar Yesterday at 16:32

September 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posting users this week
pchester

_Nite_

Sword2012

kd6dm

supercj1

Latro

kaplumbaga

meadle

grayxy

nemisis1842khann

Statistics
We have 202 registered users
The newest registered user is Decotti

Our users have posted a total of 2118 messages in 207 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

_Nite_

Most users ever online was 19 on Fri 4 Aug 2017 - 17:24

Share | 

waiting room airfield ZEP

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nemisis1842khann
Experienced

PostSubject: waiting room airfield ZEP   Tue 18 Jul 2017 - 12:39

Getting to waiting room its crawling with soldiers oh and a tank, has any one
found a good way to the enter the control tower, Grimwalds video shows all the
occupants dead but how, any offers how to over come the small army with
out and the tank giving the game away completely, by the way this is the
collectors journey.
 nk
Back to top Go down
pchester
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: waiting room airfield ZEP   Tue 18 Jul 2017 - 13:18

nemisis1842khann wrote:
Getting to waiting room its crawling with soldiers oh and a tank, has any one found a good way to the enter the control tower. nk

I use the small hut out front
Spoiler:

Make sure you have a quicksave ready just in case.
Back to top Go down
nemisis1842khann
Experienced

PostSubject: Re: waiting room airfield ZEP   Tue 18 Jul 2017 - 14:25

Many thanks pchester , for both of the answers, I tried to snipe from the hill on the other side, but
I have not been able encourage all the occupiers to come to the gate, but I will try your idea, thanks.
.......... .........
The unpacking appears to be fairly easy but the repack is the issue as you pointed out, to find an app
to do the repack is ask the right question on the internet and may be just may be one might appear,
but i'll give your way a try first as an when I might find a need, ever now'n a gain there's the ctd,
and expecting TB to answer every one is unfair when one see's how many files there are in the SS game.
many thanks ...nk
Back to top Go down
pchester
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: waiting room airfield ZEP   Tue 18 Jul 2017 - 15:35

nemisis1842khann wrote:
the repack is the issue as you pointed out, to find an app to do the repack is ask the right question on the internet and may be just may be one might appear

I am sure someone here can tell you how they pack the original db files.

One more thing about repacking your edited files... When a new patch comes out it may overwrite one or more db files, so you could lose lose your edits. The update process also creates a new gamedata folder, but it saves your old one so you still have access to your unpacked, edited files. Be careful about moving them back to the new gamedata, though, in case you inadvertently overwrite something that has been changed in the update.
Back to top Go down
nemisis1842khann
Experienced

PostSubject: Re: waiting room airfield ZEP   Tue 18 Jul 2017 - 20:00

O now that's a good item to note, lets say I change some thing like true to false, with out TB
giving the or telling me to change it when he puts together the next patch, as you say it could screw
things badly, to the extent of a complete re down load of ss, if TB was to direct me to an adjustment
the change might just be fitted into the latest file, a bit of a dilemma for me, better let the bosses
direct one's going on's, just imagine getting all the way though to dead city with the lastday critters,
I will just do as i am told..yes sir..
thanks for that angle.... nk
Back to top Go down
pchester
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: waiting room airfield ZEP   Tue 18 Jul 2017 - 22:52

nemisis1842khann wrote:

O now that's a good item to note, lets say I change some thing like true to false, with out TB  giving the or telling me to change it when he puts together the next patch, as you say it could screw  things badly, to the extent of a complete re down load of ss, if TB was to direct me to an adjustment  the change might just be fitted into the latest file, a bit of a dilemma for me, better let the bosses  direct one's going on's, just imagine getting all the way though to dead city with the lastday critters,  I will just do as i am told..yes sir..  thanks for that angle.... nk

As long as you are working in Gamedata it shouldn't matter if you make a mistake, as you can always delete the edited file that is causing a problem and the game will revert to using the master version within the db file.

I usually unpack each update/patch into its own folder so I can see which files have been changed and therefore which are the latest versions. If you have previously modified any of the updated files, it is best to redo your edits in the new file rather than copy your old edited file back in.

NB: the new gamedata folder created by the update will have some important files in it, in particular config\alife.ltx and config\inventory_sect.ltx. These might or might not have been changed, the file date should tell you - but again, if you have edited any of these files I would redo your edits in the new file just in case.
Back to top Go down
nemisis1842khann
Experienced

PostSubject: Re: waiting room airfield ZEP   Wed 19 Jul 2017 - 8:57

Thanks for the words of wisdom, as I said in another letter 'it's all above my pay grade' , so let those who know , do.
nk
Back to top Go down
Sword2012

PostSubject: Re: waiting room airfield ZEP   Wed 19 Jul 2017 - 13:25

nemisis1842khann wrote:
Thanks for the words of wisdom, as I said in another letter 'it's all above my pay grade' , so let those who know , do.
nk

Wise words indeed. StalkerSoup is constantly evolving, and much is happening in the background, in every area of the game, between each patch

Working on the Dialogues, I always test each file that I modify in my gamedata folder, to see its effect within the game

But when a new patch comes out I'll always use the newly-installed gamedata folder, and none of the old files at all, to avoid anything I've done being out of sync with the game's evolution...
Back to top Go down
nemisis1842khann
Experienced

PostSubject: Re: waiting room airfield ZEP   Wed 19 Jul 2017 - 20:25

Hi Sword2012, so you disassemble the latest patch to see whats in it and then remove all your
existing currant files that are in the patch, is that right, I thought the patch auto'd deleted the
old file and replaced with the new one accept the gamedata for it makes a copy as back up, I can
see the idea making copies of the old files because I have seen in the past of errors creeping
into updates, it must be a huge task to improve this sort of game, so easy to make an error of
one sort or another, TB and his friends have taken on a mammoth task to evolve SS, I will give
your idea a try on the next patch just to cover any possible niggles, some time ago when soc came
out I had a go at opening the 'all save' , mind boggling in the complexity so one can see putting
a dot or comma in wrong place is, well , did you encounter the the patch that had the cordon
bandits running away from you with out weapons, so your idea is a good one, whats the worst
that can happen oops ..ctd...
 thanks Sword2012...nk
Back to top Go down
Sword2012

PostSubject: Re: waiting room airfield ZEP   Wed 19 Jul 2017 - 21:33

nemisis1842khann wrote:
Hi Sword2012, so you disassemble the latest patch to see whats in it and then remove all your existing current files that are in the patch, is that right, I thought the patch auto'd deleted the
old file and replaced with the new one accept the gamedata for it makes a copy as back up

The gamedata folder is for personal experimentation, amongst other things. But it's this experimentation that has caused so many problems with incompatibility between patches, which is why a new gamedata folder is now created with each new patch, containing TB's latest changes to it, and your old gamedata folder is backed up, because it's got your personalized stuff in it!

But even if you drop personalized files into 'gamedata', you still have to be careful where you put it, or the engine may not find it when the game starts up...

Ever since TB rationalized all the game's code into discrete database files, I only need to use the Unpacking tool on the .dbs file, the one that contains the 149 English text files and nothing else

Steve2000 and I work systematically on these, occasionally dropping them into our 'gamedata/config/text/eng' folder to test them (if we dropped these files anywhere else in 'gamedata' the engine wouldn't find them...). We can then view the result in-game, and ensure that we've not done something that'll cause the game not to start - which happens more often than you'd imagine!

Whenever a new patch is announced, we take a full day to check all these files for engine-breaking errors. Aleks then checks them all again for anything we've missed. And yet a game-breaker can still creep in - and this is just in text! So you can imagine what it must be like with the thousands of actual script and coding files...  No

Personally, I'd not advise touching the code at all, other than the choices TB is constantly including in the Modders' Script. He and Aleks1970 are constantly busy behind the scenes fixing all the fault submissions sent in by players, but trying to fix a self-induced bug just wastes their time and energy

If you're good at what you do, then feel free to apply to join the team. The important thing is that the work is coordinated, because this game is huge, and it is so easy to cause problems for everybody else involved...

I know this because I've been personally responsible for messing up the game for everyone, creating coding problems for the engine, and wasting TB and Aleks' time, simply by working with text! Yes, using an apostrophe in the wrong place, accidentally deleting a single coding character at the beginning or end of a line of dialogue, and even making a sentence or paragraph too long can mess up the game! affraid

Last edited by Sword2012 on Wed 19 Jul 2017 - 22:18; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nemisis1842khann
Experienced

PostSubject: Re: waiting room airfield ZEP   Wed 19 Jul 2017 - 21:57

Ok Sword2012 I will run with your words of wisdom and leave well alone, I know were a modern
cars engine is but ' er whats that' I had a moggy a long time ago and that was simple, and the
same applies to day with gaming, er what that do'''
nk
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: waiting room airfield ZEP   

Back to top Go down

waiting room airfield ZEP
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1