STALKERSOUP


Everything about the STALKERSOUP game...
 
HomeFAQRegisterLog in
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» The '100 Rads' bar...
by Sword2012 Today at 14:39

» Dead City stash
by pchester Today at 10:17

» Limansk Basement
by pchester Yesterday at 12:08

» Isomorphic Teleport
by pchester Sat 9 Dec 2017 - 23:03

» Who is, and where I can find Rabinowitz?
by Arthoryum Sat 9 Dec 2017 - 11:59

» Finished Radar collector ....and now ?
by pchester Sat 9 Dec 2017 - 10:08

» A good early to midgame suit
by sjohnson Sat 9 Dec 2017 - 5:05

» upcoming patch
by pchester Fri 8 Dec 2017 - 17:26

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
CalendarCalendar
Top posting users this week
Arthoryum
 
Sword2012
 
pchester
 
Statistics
We have 288 registered users
The newest registered user is Teralion

Our users have posted a total of 3338 messages in 338 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 22 on Fri 13 Oct 2017 - 10:55

Share | 
 

 Dialogue Improvement suggestions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
da_raabi
Experienced
avatar

Posts : 70
Join date : 2017-06-17
Location : Florida

PostSubject: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Tue 18 Jul 2017 - 13:31

I just finished the end of the Victor Hologram missions and had a couple of suggestions.

--VH is referred to in several ways: "The Hologram" "Victor" etc. I'm thinking it might make things a bit easier to understand if he is always referred to as "Victor Hologram" It might be a bit less confusing.

--The mission to accompany VH to the army warehouses transition in Recon is titled incorrectly. It says you are to accompany him to the Recon. He (and you) are already there...

--When referring to Maples (the scientist in Varlab), Victor Hologram calls him a she. Now I don't want to get all political but... that don't look like no girl!

Just a couple of suggestions I came up with. Now I can tear that page out of my notebook lol!


Last edited by Sword2012 on Wed 19 Jul 2017 - 16:19; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Extended title)
Back to top Go down
_Nite_
Veteran


Posts : 398
Join date : 2017-07-13
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Tue 18 Jul 2017 - 13:44

I noticed when I did recons missions some of them are not tied to a task, I had to manually keep track of some of them, I suggest that be fixed too.
Back to top Go down
Steve90k
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 156
Join date : 2017-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Tue 18 Jul 2017 - 17:09

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I noticed when I did recons missions some of them are not tied to a task, I had to manually keep track of some of them, I suggest that be fixed too.

We are fully aware of this, and I have asked for this to be fixed as a priority.
The broken missions become much more frequent later in the game.

Sword2012 and myself have attempted to remedy this problem by making the dialogues easier to understand, and fixing all the broken English. However I do not have knowledge of mission scripting, and therefore require, either learning it myself (I dont have enough time), or ask Aleks and TB to look at it.

If you have the time (and determination) you can learn how to write missions here...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

However, you would then need to use this knowledge to read the mission scripting in order to modify and correct the broken missions.

TB will not place anything new or modyfied into the game withput it being checked first, but you could modify your own game, then check it, and then send the modified files to TB or Aleks for verification. (you would have to do this by email).
Back to top Go down
Sword2012
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 307
Join date : 2017-05-31
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Wed 19 Jul 2017 - 1:54

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
--VH is referred to in several ways: "The Hologram" "Victor" etc. I'm thinking it might make things a bit easier to understand if he is always referred to as "Victor Hologram" It might be a bit less confusing.

--The mission to accompany VH to the army warehouses transition in Recon is titled incorrectly. It says you are to accompany him to the Recon. He (and you) are already there...

--When referring to Maples (the scientist in Varlab), Victor Hologram calls him a she

All fixed in Dialogues for 1.10014. Thanks for pointing them out Smile
Back to top Go down
_Nite_
Veteran


Posts : 398
Join date : 2017-07-13
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Wed 19 Jul 2017 - 2:29

yea unfortunately I don't have the knowledge for that steve, I'm just TB's beta tester basicly, I gone through stalkersoup on so many versions lol
Back to top Go down
rusty_shackleford
Experienced
avatar

Posts : 64
Join date : 2017-07-17
Location : California

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Wed 19 Jul 2017 - 5:11

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
However I do not have knowledge of mission scripting, and therefore require, either learning it myself (I dont have enough time), or ask Aleks and TB to look at it.

This isn't exactly the place to ask but after experiencing quite a few crashes, it seems to me like most of the scripting is in a LUA engine. Is this correct?
Back to top Go down
Steve90k
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 156
Join date : 2017-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Wed 19 Jul 2017 - 23:43

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
However I do not have knowledge of mission scripting, and therefore require, either learning it myself (I dont have enough time), or ask Aleks and TB to look at it.

This isn't exactly the place to ask but after experiencing quite a few crashes, it seems to me like most of the scripting is in a LUA engine. Is this correct?

Yes, almost all is LUA, some files are XML, but relatively easy to understand.
Back to top Go down
Steve90k
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 156
Join date : 2017-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Wed 19 Jul 2017 - 23:44

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
yea unfortunately I don't have the knowledge for that steve, I'm just TB's beta tester basicly, I gone through stalkersoup on so many versions lol

You should take a look at my faults file.
I played the game without using the guide (only reffering to it when I come across a problem.

The file is not complete, and is written in extremely rough form (basically short hand).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
rusty_shackleford
Experienced
avatar

Posts : 64
Join date : 2017-07-17
Location : California

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Thu 20 Jul 2017 - 0:29

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
However I do not have knowledge of mission scripting, and therefore require, either learning it myself (I dont have enough time), or ask Aleks and TB to look at it.

This isn't exactly the place to ask but after experiencing quite a few crashes, it seems to me like most of the scripting is in a LUA engine. Is this correct?

Yes, almost all is LUA, some files are XML, but relatively easy to understand.

Is there an API I can look at, or should I just reverse xrLUA.dll?
Back to top Go down
Sword2012
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 307
Join date : 2017-05-31
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Thu 20 Jul 2017 - 0:51

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

You should take a look at my faults file.
I played the game without using the guide (only reffering to it when I come across a problem

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A very useful and comprehensive list indeed, Steve. I'm going to look through it to see if anything can be fixed, or at least ameliorated, in text Smile
Back to top Go down
Steve90k
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 156
Join date : 2017-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Thu 20 Jul 2017 - 3:57

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

You should take a look at my faults file.
I played the game without using the guide (only reffering to it when I come across a problem

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A very useful and comprehensive list indeed, Steve. I'm going to look through it to see if anything can be fixed, or at least ameliorated, in text Smile

it took over 100 hours of gameplay and often repeating the tasks to make sure.
i was definately not mucking around!!!

I have a new problem though... one which has stopped me from playing. there is no last days spwan in recon. if they dont turn up, i cannot play the mission and finish the game. According to the guide I am literaly about 97% finished the storyline.
Back to top Go down
kd6dm
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 141
Join date : 2017-06-03
Location : Northern California

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Tue 25 Jul 2017 - 2:13

Steve/sword2012;

In Generators, the dialog with countryman is reversed, and you can't make the choice to give him 100,000 RU. Instead, you only get the shoot down the helicopter task. And, the helicopter never takes off, so the task fails. Here's a link to some screenshots:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PS: Does this go to you, or TB?

_________________________________________________
One shot, one kill.
Back to top Go down
Sword2012
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 307
Join date : 2017-05-31
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Tue 25 Jul 2017 - 3:34

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Steve/sword2012;

In Generators, the dialog with countryman is reversed, and you can't make the choice to give him 100,000 RU. Instead, you only get the shoot down the helicopter task. And, the helicopter never takes off, so the task fails. Here's a link to some screenshots:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PS: Does this go to you, or TB?

Hi kd6dm. Thanks for this. The particular text file containing this dialogue is a little confusing. Do you have the next screenshots after this dialogue, please? It'd be really useful to know what happens next, and where the mix-up stops...

I've never got this far in the game so I'm unfamiliar with the context, but with a few more screenshots up to the end of the dialogue with Countryman, we can make it right in the meantime

It might be a while before the obfuscating dialogue itself gets fully reworked, though No
Back to top Go down
rusty_shackleford
Experienced
avatar

Posts : 64
Join date : 2017-07-17
Location : California

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Tue 25 Jul 2017 - 4:03

Here is my issue list cont. from the Error message thread:

Spoiler:
 
Back to top Go down
kd6dm
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 141
Join date : 2017-06-03
Location : Northern California

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Tue 25 Jul 2017 - 7:12

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Steve/sword2012;

In Generators, the dialog with countryman is reversed, and you can't make the choice to give him 100,000 RU. Instead, you only get the shoot down the helicopter task. And, the helicopter never takes off, so the task fails. Here's a link to some screenshots:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PS: Does this go to you, or TB?

Sword Replied:
 
Hi Sword, that's as far as it goes. When you click on the dialog of screen 3, you get the task to shoot down the helicopter...no option to pay the 100,000 RU. All other dialogs are "See you".

This issue was in 1.10012, but not before patch 12.
Back to top Go down
pchester
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 694
Join date : 2017-06-03
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Tue 25 Jul 2017 - 9:45

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
the helicopter never takes off, so the task fails.

I recently succeeded at this mission for the first time. The helicopter you want isn't the one in the compound.
Spoiler:
 
Back to top Go down
Steve90k
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 156
Join date : 2017-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Tue 25 Jul 2017 - 13:22

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
the helicopter never takes off, so the task fails.

I recently succeeded at this mission for the first time. The helicopter you want isn't the one in the compound.
Spoiler:
 

Ok, I read in a guide somewhere about this really high helicopter. to me this is a spawn issue which wont be fixed by TB or Aleks.

My best suggestion is to change the dialogues to give the player a better clue on how to complete the mission.

As for the missing option to pay 100 000ru, I had this issue in 0.0.0.4, but I am using the new dialogues for testing.

It's possible that this extra option may have been disturbed by the editing process... further investigation is needed....
Back to top Go down
Sword2012
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 307
Join date : 2017-05-31
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Tue 25 Jul 2017 - 13:54

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Hi Sword, that's as far as it goes. When you click on the dialog of screen 3, you get the task to shoot down the helicopter...no option to pay the 100,000 RU. All other dialogs are "See you".

This issue was in 1.10012, but not before patch 12.

We've not touched these dialogues before, so in this case it may be a scripting error, and we don't go near these...

If we were to go by the screenshots, and transpose the lines of dialogue to fit the characters, it would create an empty line - and one of those would crash the game  Embarassed

So in this case I'll mark the file in the appropriate places, according to the screenshots you provided, then pass it up the line to Aleks Smile
Back to top Go down
Aleks1970
Administrator Founder
avatar

Posts : 60
Join date : 2017-05-31
Age : 47
Location : Slovenia

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Tue 25 Jul 2017 - 16:51

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Spoiler:
 
Did you tried this task on the 110013 game version?
Please send me the save before the talk with the countryman...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Ok, I read in a guide somewhere about this really high helicopter. to me this is a spawn issue which wont be fixed by TB or Aleks.
Well - the helicopter always spawn, but some players choose this task at night or when is cloudy with rain scratch and they are expecting that they will be taking down the helicopter easily... What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://stalkersoup.forumotion.me
kd6dm
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 141
Join date : 2017-06-03
Location : Northern California

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Tue 25 Jul 2017 - 20:24

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
the helicopter never takes off, so the task fails.

I recently succeeded at this mission for the first time. The helicopter you want isn't the one in the compound.
Spoiler:
 

Thank you, pchester:
 
Back to top Go down
Steve90k
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 156
Join date : 2017-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Wed 26 Jul 2017 - 0:15

Recieved and understood.
I was worrie we may have been responsible for it acidentally, but as it turns out, it's not related to us!
Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
kd6dm
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 141
Join date : 2017-06-03
Location : Northern California

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Wed 26 Jul 2017 - 2:44

Hi alex1970, forum looks weird on my Kindle. No "reply" button. I have a save right before talking to Countryman, I'll get it to you as soon as I return home Friday. BTW, I am on 13. I will try to get it to you sooner if I can. No Internet where I'm at.

_________________________________________________
One shot, one kill.
Back to top Go down
kd6dm
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 141
Join date : 2017-06-03
Location : Northern California

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Thu 27 Jul 2017 - 19:00

alexs1970... here's a link to the Generator's save. Lots of fun over a 3G cell link.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hope it's what you need. Can't access the PM over 3G.

_________________________________________________
One shot, one kill.
Back to top Go down
Sword2012
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 307
Join date : 2017-05-31
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Fri 28 Jul 2017 - 23:35

NOTE for anyone supplying typos, or other dialogue errors to be fixed

1. If the text is already a mess, it means we haven't got around to that file yet, so there's no point in fixing a single typo within it unless it's a serious one like an NPC name

2. It is worth fixing a typo in something that's clearly in otherwise good English

3. Please provide the faulty text accurately, so we can search for it. We're good at what we do, and can often extrapolate from inaccurate data, but there's no substitute for an accurate description or a screenshot  Smile  

4. Please bear in mind that we already have literally hundreds of screenshots, that we've created ourselves, to fix

5. Any dialogue error posted on this forum will be fixed, out of respect for the member reporting it. If you've taken the time to report it, we'll take the time to fix it...

6. Priority will always be given to game-breaking dialogues. If you've struggled over a dialogue before finally figuring out what it should be, please let us know. You'll be saving us time...

7. Ideally, please post dialogue/descriptions to the correct part of the forum i.e. Here - as it's not always possible to monitor every post on the forum

Thank you Smile


Last edited by Sword2012 on Tue 8 Aug 2017 - 23:05; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
pchester
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 694
Join date : 2017-06-03
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Thu 3 Aug 2017 - 21:32

After giving Guide
Spoiler:
 
Back to top Go down
Sword2012
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 307
Join date : 2017-05-31
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Fri 4 Aug 2017 - 22:50

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
After giving Guide
Spoiler:
 

This could be a scripting error, as both dialogue choices exist in the text files...

Thanks for pointing it out
Back to top Go down
pchester
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 694
Join date : 2017-06-03
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Mon 7 Aug 2017 - 18:38

I'm not sure if this is a dialogue error or a game error ... so I am passing the buck  Laughing ...

In the Collector level, after finding
Spoiler:
 
Back to top Go down
sjohnson
Experienced


Posts : 67
Join date : 2017-06-03
Age : 65
Location : South Dakota, U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Tue 8 Aug 2017 - 0:26

No suggestion, just a big thank you to the dialog team! I'm seeing the results of your work and it makes the game so very much better. bounce
Back to top Go down
Sword2012
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 307
Join date : 2017-05-31
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Tue 8 Aug 2017 - 23:33

I've just discovered that text in spoiler quotes is NOT searchable, so this is intended for whomever wrote the following

"Yakut accepts the laptop to complete task. Dialogue says "Item removed: Arhara's Notebook x1" (Retrieving Arhara's notebook from Agroprom Underground was the previous task)"

The phrase 'Find Arhara's notebook' as a quest item appears just once in the text files for starting and completing a quest, but is accessed twice by the game - when you search for a Diary, and then a Laptop. Which is why we changed the name to 'Notebook' to describe both items...

However, thanks to your post, we've clarified the individual description of each item to 'Arhara's pocket notebook' and 'Arhara's notebook computer' Smile
Back to top Go down
_Nite_
Veteran


Posts : 398
Join date : 2017-07-13
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Sat 12 Aug 2017 - 8:48

found an dialog error on caeser cache 17 sword

Spoiler:
 
Back to top Go down
pchester
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 694
Join date : 2017-06-03
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Sat 12 Aug 2017 - 13:25

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I've just discovered that text in spoiler quotes is NOT searchable, so this is intended for whomever wrote the following

"Yakut accepts the laptop to complete task. Dialogue says "Item removed: Arhara's Notebook x1" (Retrieving Arhara's notebook from Agroprom Underground was the previous task)"

I think it was me Laughing Thanks Sword2012
Back to top Go down
Sword2012
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 307
Join date : 2017-05-31
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Sat 12 Aug 2017 - 16:37

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
found an dialog error on caeser cache 17 sword

Spoiler:
 

Found it and done it, though it won't appear until 1.10015. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
pchester
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 694
Join date : 2017-06-03
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Fri 18 Aug 2017 - 17:21

As requested by Sword2012 - I reported this earlier but I didn't include a screenie. I am still not sure if this is a dialogue problem or a game issue.

Spoiler:
 
Back to top Go down
Sword2012
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 307
Join date : 2017-05-31
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Fri 18 Aug 2017 - 17:30

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
As requested by Sword2012 - I reported this earlier but I didn't include a screenie. I am still not sure if this is a dialogue problem or a game issue
Thank you. I now have your screenshots so you can delete your originals Smile
Back to top Go down
pchester
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 694
Join date : 2017-06-03
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   Fri 18 Aug 2017 - 21:56

Task: Find the documents in the Red Forest for Fang - unnecessary task given.
Spoiler:
 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Dialogue Improvement suggestions   

Back to top Go down
 
Dialogue Improvement suggestions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Dialogue Improvement suggestions
» Im bored, give me suggestions.
» Eldar suggestions
» can't betray strauss in the gargoyle quest
» Trip shop -SANTAMONICA - dialogue for the weapons + Diners Pub

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STALKERSOUP :: Dialogue Improvement team :: Dialogue improvement reports-
Jump to: