StalkerSoup
StalkerSoup
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official StalkerSoup forum

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Defend the Bar crash
Design of Female NPCs Icon_minitimeby Jowien Thu 16 May 2024 - 16:32

» Problem with RG6 and Kalmyak
Design of Female NPCs Icon_minitimeby Zetsuchini Mon 13 May 2024 - 15:37

» Starting directly at Collector mode
Design of Female NPCs Icon_minitimeby Sword2012 Sun 12 May 2024 - 4:55

» First Person Weapon Models and Strelok AK Texture
Design of Female NPCs Icon_minitimeby TrueB Mon 6 May 2024 - 19:10

» Is StalkerSoup completed?
Design of Female NPCs Icon_minitimeby Sword2012 Tue 30 Apr 2024 - 2:48

» A walk through StalkerSoup...
Design of Female NPCs Icon_minitimeby Jowien Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 2:08

» Yakut does not give a dialog pt.2
Design of Female NPCs Icon_minitimeby SPEC Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 15:32

» Vanilla graphics addon? And maybe a better hitmarker?
Design of Female NPCs Icon_minitimeby DUCATISLO Mon 8 Apr 2024 - 17:03

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posting users this week
No user
Statistics
We have 1750 registered users
The newest registered user is atst1

Our users have posted a total of 12554 messages in 1752 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 254 on Thu 8 Apr 2021 - 17:10

Design of Female NPCs

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TrueB
Master

Design of Female NPCs Empty
PostSubject: Design of Female NPCs   Design of Female NPCs Icon_minitimeTue 9 Nov 2021 - 13:47

In the game, as far as I have found there are 3 women NPCs: Tweed, Panther and the one in Dead Marshes plus women zombies.
My suggestion for modding is the supply of female MOs, for players who may prefer to play the part of MO in female form.
Naturally uniforms would be needed for play in 3D form where players view their MOs from behind or in F3 mode from any angle.
I don't see why there needs to be any change in the dialogue nor missions,
Simply the MO character even if called Strelok could be female Strelok. The only yet necessary in my opinion change is to mod uniforms that like Tweed have feminine attributes.
When I used to play Stalker SGS 2, I came across a variation mod that had armed groups of female and male stalkers in Rostok. Unfortunately I don't recall the name of the mod. But the players character was still male. I hope this will be considered, Thanks and Regards TrueB
Back to top Go down
Sword2012
Administrator
Sword2012

PostSubject: Re: Design of Female NPCs   Design of Female NPCs Icon_minitimeWed 10 Nov 2021 - 2:46

Well, don't forget Fly, and Lightning. There's also Spark and Sak's wife, both of whom we've not yet met in person, but may make an appearance in future...

But from a dialogues point of view I can see a vast part of the story needing to be rewritten for a female lead - from the perspectives of the protagonist, those encountering her, and the storyline itself

The dialogues for Tweed, Karina, and especially Panther needed to be written from a female perspective, and for the men who respected and cared for them...

But maybe one day, when the story is complete, and we get a female writer on the team...

Aleks1970 and VodkaMartiniSNS like this post

Back to top Go down
Akira
Zombie
Akira

PostSubject: Re: Design of Female NPCs   Design of Female NPCs Icon_minitimeMon 22 Nov 2021 - 4:11

I'd say dialogue doesn't need to be accounted for. Considering the game is already half google-translated.
Also, sorry to hijack the post, is there a way to play Stalkersoup in Russian? I am fluent and the occasional google translated text is just not understandable.. Embarassed

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, it'd probably be a lot of work that could be put elsewhere, considering the amount of suits needed to be rendered for the inventory screen...
Back to top Go down
pchester
Administrator
pchester

PostSubject: Re: Design of Female NPCs   Design of Female NPCs Icon_minitimeMon 22 Nov 2021 - 10:05

Akira wrote:
I'd say dialogue doesn't need to be accounted for. Considering the game is already half google-translated.

Actually very little (if any) of the original machine-translated dialogue remains in StalkerSoup. Sword2012 and his Dialogue Improvement Team have been steadily working through the entire game, replacing the original often garbled text with something more understandable - and in many places making it more relevant and meaningful to the unique story of StalkerSoup.

VodkaMartiniSNS and Akira like this post

Back to top Go down
Sword2012
Administrator
Sword2012

PostSubject: Re: Design of Female NPCs   Design of Female NPCs Icon_minitimeMon 22 Nov 2021 - 20:02

pchester is correct

StalkerSoup is a merging of independently-created mods woven together into a new and unique storyline, carrying on from where NS ended in 2012

Each of these mods had a different set of authors from different countries, using different writing styles, all of which needed to be brought together into a common language and style

Since 2012, several stalwarts have attempted to translate the mire of gobbledegook that machine translation had imposed on the original text files. However, under the circumstances, understanding the context was incredibly difficult so, in 2015, the decision was made to rewrite the game completely, using native English writers to take the intent and context of each line of dialogue into account

In doing so we've rewritten entire batches of files, common to several other STALKER mods, that have never before appeared in unbroken English - mainly because they were so bl**dy long and difficult to understand... scratch

In addition, we've rewritten all 53 map descriptions in the game to create a Unified Zone, describing a common history of culture, politics, and topography of each area - and how the game's events of 1986 and 2006 affected each of them. This will appear in your game with the next patch

It's true that there are still parts of the game with machine translation, which was due to an unplanned hard drive failure a few years ago, and we're still working towards completing the first draft - but after that it should become a lot more fun, for those of us at both ends of the keyboard... Twisted Evil

VodkaMartiniSNS and Akira like this post

Back to top Go down
Akira
Zombie
Akira

PostSubject: Re: Design of Female NPCs   Design of Female NPCs Icon_minitimeTue 23 Nov 2021 - 22:37

Sorry, I didn't want to come across as if I'm undermining the work that has been put, it's a ton of work, and a lot of time, I just didn't want to hijack the post too bad.. just a little bit! The work that has been done already is absolutely astounding and I'm loving (almost) every minute. The Resident Evil soundtracks sprinkled on top are absolutely amazing I must add. Also the hand translated parts are all very well written. If you guys need help, as a Russian, I'm willing to help with translation.
I asked if it's possible to play in Russian solely because that's my native language, and the language I always played stalker in. This mod is the first I'm playing in English. There's also a little bit of linguistic intrecacies getting lost in translation, but it's totally understandable and is not a big deal at all.

Since this has been mentioned, there actually is a bit of google translated text that still remains. I found it mostly in the chatter with stalkers or various side-missions, it's definitely far from critical but it made me sad that I just couldn't understand what was being said.

You guys did an amazing job so far, for me personally on par with mods like Ray of Hope in terms of scope (even though 2 entirely different realms) just in terms of sheer amount of work. So sorry if I came across as rude!

That being said... is this mod possible to play in Russian though? >_<
Now that I think about it, I don't even want it that bad. Sorry for making a mess out of this innocent thread Design of Female NPCs 1f633
Back to top Go down
Sword2012
Administrator
Sword2012

PostSubject: Re: Design of Female NPCs   Design of Female NPCs Icon_minitimeWed 24 Nov 2021 - 12:54

Hi Akira

No offence taken at all, and we'd really appreciate it if you would point out those 'lost in translation' errors

It should be very clear from the text which areas have been rewritten, and which are still awaiting reworking - but if you find something that's been rewritten but incorrectly, then please feel free to point it out here

In order to find and correct it a screenshot of the text is the most useful. Either that, or the exact wording of (part of) the incorrect text

Yes, much of the legacy 'chatter' still remains from the original, and this will be addressed after the next patch. Up to now we've been focused on getting the main storyline right so it can be followed naturally without losing immersion, but I'm pleased to inform that, out of the 155 text files that make up StalkerSoup, 132 have been completed to a first draft level

In answer to your question about translation to Russian, it's my opinion that only when all the files have been completed in English that it'll be suitable for translation to other languages - if only to make the job easier for a brave and determined translator to interpret without giving up in sheer frustration... scratch study No
Back to top Go down
Akira
Zombie
Akira

PostSubject: Re: Design of Female NPCs   Design of Female NPCs Icon_minitimeThu 25 Nov 2021 - 11:09

Sorry, I've progressed quite a bit since then, so I can't pin-point exactly or give a screenshot, but it was mostly in Rostok, especially so in the Bar where I saw most of it. Another part I remember is after you give Ghost's diary to the scientist. Again, it's only a very very small bit and nothing serious, doesn't even break immersion that bad. So no worries! All in due time

When it's all ready and done, I'll definitely be happy to give a hand at translating to Russian. Russians don't know what they're missing by not playing this mod!~ I love you
Back to top Go down
Sword2012
Administrator
Sword2012

PostSubject: Re: Design of Female NPCs   Design of Female NPCs Icon_minitimeThu 25 Nov 2021 - 21:21

Previous post:

Ah, yes, most of the Rostok dialogues, other than Baldy's tales, have been reworked for the next patch. Dialogue improvement anywhere else will be continued after the patch is out

But thank you for the 'Russians' comment. Praise from Caesar indeed!

Akira likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ikaruss
Experienced
Ikaruss

PostSubject: Re: Design of Female NPCs   Design of Female NPCs Icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 7:57

Well, since this topic, it would be interesting that, before including a female character for the player, the visual aspect of the female characters that already exist is improved.
While Panther is not bad (it is noted that she is a female model from Half Life 2), she is badly equipped in terms of armor having been in the Zone so long.

Of whom if I have many complaints, is Fly.
I'm right on that mission, and looking at it is just ridiculous.
It reminds me of a scene from Futurama where some kids hack the internet to enter a +18 site, haha ...

Spoiler:

And it is just a head in a common stalker body.
There is no way to make her a smaller body and/or give him another suit, something more feminine?

Here I attach several mods and reference images.

I think this is the mod that you reffer:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm not going to lie, some models look ugly.
More than anything because the hips are poorly modeled.

I found these bandit models for the Call of Chernobyl.

Also this one, but for it's too much for my taste.

Too sexualized for the Zone ... unless her boobs are radiation proof..

This is what I think of when they mention a girl living in refuge in the Zone:

Design of Female NPCs Stalker-chica-en-camuflaje-se-esconde-en-un-edificio-destruido-album-basado-en-el-juego-de-chernobil-zona-de-exclusion-nuclear-post-apocalipsis-tw440n

Wow, I find these:

And this is closer to what I think of when I think of Panther.

Design of Female NPCs C1fb9tF

Although this would be who I think when I think of Panther, hehe ...

A female mercenarie:

And of course there is always Hip/Aurora:

Also just as a suggestion ... since you included Gordon Freeman, wouldn't it be great to be able to include Alyx Vance?
Any rescue mission where we have to take Gordon as a partner, to rescue her?
Back to top Go down
TrueB
Master

PostSubject: Design of female NPCs   Design of Female NPCs Icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 8:25

Above post:
Hi Sword, whilst Stalkersoup conversations are now brilliant, and I am pretty sure you may already have this suggestion covered, I wonder if when MO visits eg the dark valley bandit base, and bandits burst into songs, could there be a translation please of what the song is, in English and likewise their conversations eg round fires etc, for they seem to be the most vocal. Also, perhaps what Fractures, Controllers, and Female Zombies say, just as text, please,  beneath?
Thanks and Regards TrueB
Back to top Go down
TrueB
Master

PostSubject: Design of Female NPCs   Design of Female NPCs Icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 8:46

Above post:

You have some really good models here Ikaruss. The Karina model if this is the Levelup 1 model in Dead Marshes, is realistic, and Tweed, is very quick at killing mutant animals. Tweed's character could be used to explain references to her in that storyline for she is shown to have history with the game prior to MO's visit, and Karina could have further story with the scientists. But the idea of battle ready Stalkers of both genders, and appropriate dialogue, and costumes has been addressed in some other mods too. The female zombies, could surely like their male ones, have firearms as military zombies.
I do think that adding an equality of both genders, would encourage more players to Stalkersoup, for as in real-life military equality of gender ranks does happen, so it would be great to reflect this in Stalkersoup. Regards, and Thanks, TrueB
Back to top Go down
Sword2012
Administrator
Sword2012

PostSubject: Re: Design of Female NPCs   Design of Female NPCs Icon_minitimeMon 27 Dec 2021 - 21:45

Without commenting on the modelling (which is not my subject), may I suggest that, in addition to the sheer difficulty of finding (or getting someone to make) body armour shaped to the female form, and that replacement Kevlar plates are supplied to traders in standard sizes, Panther may have discovered that looking like a woman would have had several disadvantages in the Zone - including attracting a more human form of predator...

In addition, she may well have chosen to look like her team in order to lead them from within their ranks, and not look like an outsider - be it an officer or a woman - who could be identified from afar as a CO or a potential hostage
Back to top Go down
Ikaruss
Experienced
Ikaruss

PostSubject: Re: Design of Female NPCs   Design of Female NPCs Icon_minitimeTue 28 Dec 2021 - 6:36

Let me see if I can translate my ideas from Spanish to English correctly.

My first impressions about the lack of women in STALKER, I found it curious, and then interesting and even purposeful, although without reasonable explanation.
This is, mostly, my own analysis of the situation, of course:
That is, the women are that iconical representation of a mother. And a mother protects.

So when you are in such an aggressive, inhospitable and strange place, and you don't have a female representation, it's inevitable not to feel a certain irrational fear, a certain state of vulnerability.
Many times, during the game, whether in vanilla or some mod, I had this awful feeling or almost instinctive impulse to take refuge in some hole, crouched, and not to leave the safety of that space.
Either when facing dangerous mutants, or when an issue occurred.
Especially with emissions, it's run to the first safe place and stay there under cover while you say goodbye to your sorry *ss...
I've even seen that some mods (now I don't remember which ones specifically), included the option that some NPCs, would get almost in a fetal position, and there, with their hands on their heads, they would start praying or crying.

Yes! I found it.
It was from Lost Alpha.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Well, to sum it up, I was saying that the lack of women or a figure that could provoke some motherhood, made the game much more visceral, more brutal.

Eventually, I was coming up with ideas and theories as to why there would be no women in the Zone.
Not only does it have to do with the fact that it is an extremely hostile environment, and many women would end up working for Sidorovich, haha... but also, it seems that the Zone is similar to the Sea of old times, a female entity, like the goddess Calypso, and therefore would be jealous of other female entities.

At least that's one of the many theories I formulated for the tabletop role-playing game I've been developing for some time.
Then because to my surprise I had a significant amount of female role-players interested in participating in some STALKER Zone Picnic games, I changed a few details here and there.
For example, the Zone in my game, is still a female entity that calls and seduces men, and is jealous of women.
Therefore, I made that playing with a male or female character is very different.
The female characters suffer a lot from the hostility of the Zone from the moment they enter and go deeper and deeper.
The difference comes later, because while men are easy targets for the Zone's deceptions and hallucinations, women have a greater resistance.
Practically, in my game, women acquire an immunity to certain hallucinations that most men do not, in exchange for feeling constantly rejected.
And it has been something that my players, both men and women, have been most pleased with.

I've even thought about including more specific female NPCs, like a couple based on Cara Delevingne, or Pelageya.
(Yes, I'm in the Pelageya crush stage right now, hahaha).

Some images of Cara:

Spoiler:

Also, it's an interesting way to take advantage of stalker.pl's women in the Zone album on facebook.

Back to top Go down
TrueB
Master

PostSubject: Design of female NPCs   Design of Female NPCs Icon_minitimeTue 28 Dec 2021 - 12:04

Previous post:
Historically (since Stalkersoup is based on a Russian mod), in Soviet times in WWII women did carry firearms, were in the Soviet army frontline. And like their male compatriots might be ferocious not just for their motherland but their safety too.
Nowadays, women and men both join their countries' forces, and go into combat. They also play F.P.S, including Stalkersoup. My hope is combat figures like Tweed could be given more active roles rather than being confined to buildings and encourage more female players to play; Panther being the good example.
The Tweed/Panther's NPC mod could surely be used as Marked One given a different outfit, since eg among Dutyers, at the Garbage checkpoint have several same facial features, so to could MO to the other females. Regards, TrueB
Back to top Go down
Ikaruss
Experienced
Ikaruss

PostSubject: Re: Design of Female NPCs   Design of Female NPCs Icon_minitimeTue 28 Dec 2021 - 13:18

Wow...I just had a great idea.
Well, it's not my idea, I stole it from the anime Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans, hehe...
I was thinking how cool it would be to have an all-female faction in the Zone.
In the Gundam series, Turbines is a space transport "company" that groups all female pilots, for various jobs.

Spoiler:

It's an idea that Gundam originally copied from its younger anime sister franchise Macross, where the alien Zentradis race is divided into two factions, the Zentran (men) and the Meltran (women), and that women are much better pilots than men, more lethal when fighting against the poor humans.

I'm not going to put images because I don't want to keep diverting the subject, hehe....

But well, it would be more than interesting, the idea of a faction made up entirely of women, and that was created by the need for women to protect themselves in a hostile environment.
They are not feminists, they are not radicals or anything like that, just women protecting themselves and looking out for their own interests.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Sword2012
Administrator
Sword2012

PostSubject: Re: Design of Female NPCs   Design of Female NPCs Icon_minitimeTue 28 Dec 2021 - 21:02

TrueB wrote:
Above post:

Hi TrueB

Unfortunately, the dialogues team is restricted to plain text, as found in the dialogues, the Inventory, the Encyclopedia, and the SMS messages. And  even these have restrictions due to the current limits of the game engine

We can't superimpose text on top of a picture or scene

No group of text can be longer than 4096 characters, without making special provision for it - or the game will crash immediately it's accessed

No SMS message can be longer than 192 characters, and the use of commas can cause problems in some of them

Some keyboard characters, which could be used as separators or punctuation, can be interpreted by the engine as code, and so cannot be used

And because the game is a merge of mods, each new level could be created in a different language - and the team does not have translators

The best we can offer is a new page in the Encyclopedia for Stalker songs, as heard in the game. If anyone can contribute to this in English, we can ensure that it goes in the game

Having said that, almost everything contributed to us ends up in the game. Just as long as it fits in with the ever-developing plot, and doesn't contravene copyright or anyone's intellectual property without their consent

As for zombies, there's an explanation in the new patch for why their speech is unintelligible. Although most zombies (especially those in the Lost Village) will try to carry on their normal lives, their brains have been so scrambled by psi-emissions that nothing useful can get past their nervous systems - neither in or out

So that nice old lady zombie could easily be saying, "Hello, young man. I appear to have lost my trowel. I could have sworn I put it down here somewhere..." before slashing at your throat because you're on her property...

VodkaMartiniSNS likes this post

Back to top Go down
TrueB
Master

PostSubject: Design of female NPCs   Design of Female NPCs Icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2021 - 10:52

Previous post:

Very interesting about the game restraints. A page for Stalker songs would be welcome. If I recall correctly there is on Forum a recent post about Stalkersoup in other languages where the contributor in my opinion volunteers Russian, which might be useful.

There is a Stalker mod which has bloodsuckers and other mutants wearing outfits and armed with firearms, though I  don't recall if they had conversations.
Seasons Greetings, TrueB
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Design of Female NPCs   Design of Female NPCs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Design of Female NPCs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
StalkerSoup :: StalkerSoup future improvements... :: Conversations about new storylines, game architecture etc.-
Jump to: