StalkerSoup
StalkerSoup
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official StalkerSoup forum

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Is StalkerSoup completed?
Windows Heap Size tweak, for increased stability in Stalkersoup  Icon_minitimeby Sword2012 Tue 30 Apr 2024 - 2:48

» A walk through StalkerSoup...
Windows Heap Size tweak, for increased stability in Stalkersoup  Icon_minitimeby Jowien Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 2:08

» Yakut does not give a dialog pt.2
Windows Heap Size tweak, for increased stability in Stalkersoup  Icon_minitimeby SPEC Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 15:32

» Vanilla graphics addon? And maybe a better hitmarker?
Windows Heap Size tweak, for increased stability in Stalkersoup  Icon_minitimeby DUCATISLO Mon 8 Apr 2024 - 17:03

» Sakharov wont talk to me
Windows Heap Size tweak, for increased stability in Stalkersoup  Icon_minitimeby pchester Wed 20 Mar 2024 - 19:37

» All the Database files
Windows Heap Size tweak, for increased stability in Stalkersoup  Icon_minitimeby Reconboi Wed 20 Mar 2024 - 14:19

» What to do after Fly's rescue?
Windows Heap Size tweak, for increased stability in Stalkersoup  Icon_minitimeby TrueB Wed 20 Mar 2024 - 11:28

» Game crashes while on load screens
Windows Heap Size tweak, for increased stability in Stalkersoup  Icon_minitimeby Sword2012 Sun 17 Mar 2024 - 22:26

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posting users this week
Sword2012
Windows Heap Size tweak, for increased stability in Stalkersoup  I_vote_lcapWindows Heap Size tweak, for increased stability in Stalkersoup  I_voting_barWindows Heap Size tweak, for increased stability in Stalkersoup  I_vote_rcap 
Statistics
We have 1749 registered users
The newest registered user is digitalaxon

Our users have posted a total of 12537 messages in 1748 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 254 on Thu 8 Apr 2021 - 17:10

Windows Heap Size tweak, for increased stability in Stalkersoup

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sword2012
Administrator
Sword2012

Windows Heap Size tweak, for increased stability in Stalkersoup  Empty
PostSubject: Windows Heap Size tweak, for increased stability in Stalkersoup    Windows Heap Size tweak, for increased stability in Stalkersoup  Icon_minitimeSat 17 Jul 2021 - 23:05

Author: kd6dm

How to increase the IRPStackSize value in the registry

One thing I always do, in all my Windows installs, is to increase the Heap size, which requires editing the Registry

Though this is not universally accepted by technicians, back in the 90's when I was a full time network admin, we always increased the heap size on new NT Servers

But this may be worth a try if you're experiencing instability, and are comfortable messing with the Registry
-----------------------------------------------------------
1. Run regedit.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

3. In the right pane, double-click the IRPStackSize value

NOTE: If the IRPStackSize value does not already exist, use the following procedure to create it:

a. In the Parameters folder of the registry, right-click the right pane

b. Point to New, and then click DWord (32-bit) Value

c. Type IRPStackSize and press Enter

IMPORTANT: Type "IRPStackSize" exactly as it is displayed here because the value name is case-sensitive

4. Right click on this, click Modify, and change the Base to 'Decimal'

5. In the Value Data box, type a value that is larger than the value already listed.

If you created the IRPStackSize value using the procedure described in step 4, the default value will be 15. Whatever it is, increase it by 3. So if the previous value was 11, type 14, then click OK

6. Close the Registry Editor, and restart the computer

If the problem persists after you complete the preceding procedure, try to increase the value of IRPStackSize even more. The maximum value for Windows 2000 was 50 (0x32 hex)

As a general guide, I usually increase my IRPStackSize to 30

kd6dm

Last edited by Sword2012 on Thu 2 Jun 2022 - 20:44; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TecnoBacon
Administrator
TecnoBacon

PostSubject: Re: Windows Heap Size tweak, for increased stability in Stalkersoup    Windows Heap Size tweak, for increased stability in Stalkersoup  Icon_minitimeThu 22 Jul 2021 - 19:21

this does work for versions of windows before win10h1 but it appears to cause startup issues that freeze the screen and need to shut down the computer and restart, it seems to be random though.
This next release will also update the engine to be large address aware which has improved stability and reduces out of memory crashes. This may make the above change unnecessary so unless you are experiencing memory ctds you may not want to do this as right now windows is going through some real changes which may conflict but you can always start in safe mode to remove the change if you experience startup screen freezes.
Back to top Go down
http://tecnobacon.com
Sword2012
Administrator
Sword2012

PostSubject: Re: Windows Heap Size tweak, for increased stability in Stalkersoup    Windows Heap Size tweak, for increased stability in Stalkersoup  Icon_minitimeThu 2 Jun 2022 - 21:44

I agree, after having problems with the initial level of 1.10019.5 after a very stable 2+ years playing 1.10019.1

Running the latest version of Windows 10, and having reduced and then removed the tweaked IRPStackSize entry from my registry, the game is a little more stable now
Back to top Go down
TrueB
Master

PostSubject: Stack size issues    Windows Heap Size tweak, for increased stability in Stalkersoup  Icon_minitimeSat 18 Jun 2022 - 4:42

TecnoBacon wrote:
this does work for versions of windows before win10h1 but it appears to cause startup issues that freeze the screen and need to shut down the computer and restart, it seems to be random though.
This next release will also update the engine to be large address aware which has improved stability and reduces out of memory crashes. This may make the above change unnecessary so unless you are experiencing memory ctds you may not want to do this as right now windows is going through some real changes which may conflict but you can always start in safe mode to remove the change if you experience startup screen freezes.
It seems Windows 11 may have more running errors, in my opinion, than Windows 10 according to a site I follow.
However, as I have commented before, stability can also be linked to the synchronisation between graphic card and monitor especially frame rate speeds. My card and monitor both can operate up to 240fps. They use Nvidia's synchronisation software and frequent CTDs became virtually zero for me, imo, once the monitor/graphic card were constantly synchronised.
I mention this here because I have not experienced any problems of the topic at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windows Heap Size tweak, for increased stability in Stalkersoup    Windows Heap Size tweak, for increased stability in Stalkersoup  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Windows Heap Size tweak, for increased stability in Stalkersoup
Page 1 of 1