StalkerSoup
StalkerSoup
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official StalkerSoup forum

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» A walk through StalkerSoup...
A Stalker's Diary v1 Icon_minitimeby Jowien Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 2:08

» Yakut does not give a dialog pt.2
A Stalker's Diary v1 Icon_minitimeby SPEC Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 15:32

» Is StalkerSoup completed?
A Stalker's Diary v1 Icon_minitimeby DUCATISLO Mon 8 Apr 2024 - 17:05

» Vanilla graphics addon? And maybe a better hitmarker?
A Stalker's Diary v1 Icon_minitimeby DUCATISLO Mon 8 Apr 2024 - 17:03

» Sakharov wont talk to me
A Stalker's Diary v1 Icon_minitimeby pchester Wed 20 Mar 2024 - 19:37

» All the Database files
A Stalker's Diary v1 Icon_minitimeby Reconboi Wed 20 Mar 2024 - 14:19

» What to do after Fly's rescue?
A Stalker's Diary v1 Icon_minitimeby TrueB Wed 20 Mar 2024 - 11:28

» Game crashes while on load screens
A Stalker's Diary v1 Icon_minitimeby Sword2012 Sun 17 Mar 2024 - 22:26

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posting users this week
No user
Statistics
We have 1749 registered users
The newest registered user is digitalaxon

Our users have posted a total of 12536 messages in 1748 subjects
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 254 on Thu 8 Apr 2021 - 17:10

A Stalker's Diary v1

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
PhilH231
Novice

A Stalker's Diary v1 Empty
PostSubject: A Stalker's Diary v1   A Stalker's Diary v1 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Aug 2018 - 14:50

Hi all

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Self-executing Ebook program (1.2 gigabytes) in RAR file, split into 24 parts.

This started off as an attempt to document as carefully as possible a trip through StalkerSoup from the start to the end of Desolation, and kind of got bigger. It's still very much a work in progress - I've only got through Collector and Desolation once, and so am less familiar with those levels. I thought I'd make it available now so anyone interested can make use of it or make suggestions for improvement/development.

There's much more work that needs doing and if anyone wants to suggest improvements, etc., that would be fantastic! There's still a great deal of work to be done on the later maps, particularly the underground areas where I get easily confused! Eventually, I want to correlate the play notes with the maps and missions and add sections about supplies (medical, food, etc) and HUD icons.

The "Ebook" was created using TreePad Pro - a bit of an ancient program but it does at least allow some rudimentary hyperlinking between files.
I used Photoshop for cleaning up screenshots and did a map in Illustrator.

Files have been split for easy uploading (use Hj-Split or similar for joining). Unfortunately, my upload speed isn't that great. I'm going to do a second version of the diary with reduced images & sizes which will keep the overall size down but obv be less detailed.

Please let me know if there are errors with any of the parts and i'll try and replace them on google drive.

If anyone wants to host the full rar file (1.2gb) assuming it downloads okay, that would be great too.

hope this is of use.
Back to top Go down
TecnoBacon
Administrator
TecnoBacon

PostSubject: Re: A Stalker's Diary v1   A Stalker's Diary v1 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Aug 2018 - 18:26

maybe when the new .net pages are done we can incorporate it there as an online ebook.
Back to top Go down
http://tecnobacon.com
PhilH231
Novice

PostSubject: Re: A Stalker's Diary v1   A Stalker's Diary v1 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Aug 2018 - 18:33

TecnoBacon wrote:
maybe when the new .net pages are done we can incorporate it there as an online ebook.

One reason I chose Treepad to do this in was that it exports to HTML, XML and CSV files. Did you manage to get the thing downloaded & extracted, Technobacon?
Back to top Go down
Sword2012
Administrator
Sword2012

PostSubject: Re: A Stalker's Diary v1   A Stalker's Diary v1 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Aug 2018 - 18:45

PhilH231 wrote:
TecnoBacon wrote:

One reason I chose Treepad to do this in was that it exports to HTML, XML and CSV files. Did you manage to get the thing downloaded & extracted, Technobacon?

Hi PhilH231. I tried, mostly unsuccessfully, to download your files

Eventually I got the first file to open Treepad, but I couldn't figure out how to read anything you'd created

This is probably down to my never having seen Treepad before

If you hosted the complete file, in addition to the 24 separate parts (which I would not know how to recompile), would it make it easier to read?

Or do you have another format from which to view the content of your work?
Back to top Go down
PhilH231
Novice

PostSubject: Re: A Stalker's Diary v1   A Stalker's Diary v1 Icon_minitimeSat 18 Aug 2018 - 18:57

Sword2012 wrote:
Hi PhilH231. I tried, mostly unsuccessfully, to download your files

Hi Sword

First thing is that the files are bits of a single .rar file which have been split into sections using HJ-Split. It's a freeware app for joining & splitting large files and can be downloaded [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Once the files have been joined, you should get a single Winrar file. Inside that rar is a file called ssoupdiary1_0818.exe
It's a self-executable version of Treepad's interface lacking the editing features.

It should look like this:

EDIT 1: Here's another screenshot showing HJ-Split in action:

HJ Split

Launch the programme, click the "Join" button and then the "input file" dialogue and select the first of the files i.e: ssoupdiary1_0818.rar.001 and then specify an output folder and tell it to start.
You should see a progress bar then a small dialogue box popping up with the msg "Joining Completed".

You should be able to open the WinRAR file (assuming of course you have a program that opens winrar files)

screenshot of Winrar file

Extract that and double-click the .exe file and you should see the ebook program open as in the screenshot in the previous post.

I would have put the whole thing up as 1 single file but I was looking at at least 6hrs upload to Google Drive as my upstream speed isn't great...

EDIT 2: Just did a test download from Google Drive. Downloaded the entire folder (took about 35 mins), joined the files with HJ-Split, extracted the .exe from the RAR file and Avast AV passed it, then it opened up.
So it does work and the files are not corrupted, which is what I was concerned about

EDIT 3: Here's a test section: my notes on mutants encountered in the Zone. There's an entry for each mutant I've come across so far, along with links (in blue) to the mutant part associated with it. Other hyperlinks have been removed, or just won't work, as they link to different areas of the diary. I've uploaded it to Google Drive as a winrar archive:

and as an executable file

They are about 18mb each so shouldn't be an issue to download
Back to top Go down
Sword2012
Administrator
Sword2012

PostSubject: Re: A Stalker's Diary v1   A Stalker's Diary v1 Icon_minitimeWed 3 Jul 2019 - 15:28

Is this project continuing, please? It certainly has potential but, other than the test section, the links appear to lead nowhere...
Back to top Go down
PhilH231
Novice

PostSubject: Re: A Stalker's Diary v1   A Stalker's Diary v1 Icon_minitimeWed 3 Jul 2019 - 15:42

Sword2012 wrote:
Is this project continuing, please? It certainly has potential but, other than the test section, the links appear to lead nowhere...

Sorry, I had to delete the links.
I'm hoping to redo the project as a pdf once I get a chance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Stalker's Diary v1   A Stalker's Diary v1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Stalker's Diary v1
Page 1 of 1