StalkerSoup
StalkerSoup
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official StalkerSoup forum

HomeRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Is StalkerSoup completed?
Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeby Sword2012 Tue 30 Apr 2024 - 2:48

» A walk through StalkerSoup...
Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeby Jowien Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 2:08

» Yakut does not give a dialog pt.2
Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeby SPEC Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 15:32

» Vanilla graphics addon? And maybe a better hitmarker?
Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeby DUCATISLO Mon 8 Apr 2024 - 17:03

» Sakharov wont talk to me
Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeby pchester Wed 20 Mar 2024 - 19:37

» All the Database files
Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeby Reconboi Wed 20 Mar 2024 - 14:19

» What to do after Fly's rescue?
Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeby TrueB Wed 20 Mar 2024 - 11:28

» Game crashes while on load screens
Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeby Sword2012 Sun 17 Mar 2024 - 22:26

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posting users this week
Sword2012
Number of maps in the Zone? I_vote_lcapNumber of maps in the Zone? I_voting_barNumber of maps in the Zone? I_vote_rcap 
Statistics
We have 1749 registered users
The newest registered user is digitalaxon

Our users have posted a total of 12537 messages in 1748 subjects
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 254 on Thu 8 Apr 2021 - 17:10

Number of maps in the Zone?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TrueB
Master

Number of maps in the Zone? Empty
PostSubject: Number of maps in the Zone?   Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeSun 2 Aug 2020 - 11:01

As far as I am aware there are supposed to be 56 areas in the Game. But I can only find 51.
Spoiler:
. Does anyone know where the extra 5 areas are please?
Thanks and regards, TrueB.

Administrator
pchester

PostSubject: Re: Number of maps in the Zone?   Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeSun 2 Aug 2020 - 13:56

From a quick count I make it 52 53* separate maps. Let me know if I have missed any...

*EDIT: Thanks Sword and TrueB for reminders about F1. The Arena, Norman's secret room in Agroprom and the Dead City exit tunnel also added.... and removed again! (Having looked closer, these areas are actually hidden below the surface of their parent maps.)

Maps...:

Last edited by pchester on Sat 8 Aug 2020 - 14:49; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sword2012
Administrator
Sword2012

PostSubject: Re: Number of maps in the Zone?   Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeSun 2 Aug 2020 - 14:54

From my own notes there's also Facility F-1, and maybe Lab X-14 at some point... study
Back to top Go down
pchester
Administrator
pchester

PostSubject: Re: Number of maps in the Zone?   Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeSun 2 Aug 2020 - 16:20

Thanks Sword, I missed F1. Embarassed Now added to list.

I think X-14 is the real name for
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
TrueB
Master

PostSubject: Number of maps in the Zone?   Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeMon 3 Aug 2020 - 11:03

pchester wrote:
From a quick count I make it 52 53* separate maps. Let me know if I have missed any...
(*thanks Sword!)
Maps...:

Hi pchester, thank you pchester, for going to the trouble of providing a list which for the curious might indeed be a spoiler
Spoiler:
Happy Hunting in the Zone, TrueB.

Master

PostSubject: Number of maps in the zone   Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeTue 4 Aug 2020 - 5:28

pchester wrote:
(*thanks Sword!)
Maps...:

Hi pchester, there is also a rather strange one that occurs in, iirc in battle with a controller
Spoiler:
. Thank you for your help in showing the extant areas.
All the Best, TrueB.

Administrator
pchester

PostSubject: Re: Number of maps in the Zone?   Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeTue 4 Aug 2020 - 10:06

Hi TrueB,

Sorry, I don't recall a hidden area in Yantar that has its own map. I remember Kruglov's task in the green wagon as being relatively uneventful apart from the usual annoying mutants.

Are you thinking of
Spoiler:
EDIT: On reflection,
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
TrueB
Master

PostSubject: Number of maps in the Zone   Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeThu 6 Aug 2020 - 5:14

Yes that's the one. I knew there was one but wasn't sure which one. I have not played the other one. I agree 56, because whatever their size the definition seems imo: a transition as part of play is required in at least one direction, that comes up with the loading screen. So eg Clear Sky base would not count. Is this what you mean?
Back to top Go down
Fofyhead
Novice

PostSubject: Re: Number of maps in the Zone?   Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeThu 6 Aug 2020 - 18:43

What about Zaton?
Back to top Go down
pchester
Administrator
pchester

PostSubject: Re: Number of maps in the Zone?   Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeThu 6 Aug 2020 - 18:49

The Clear Sky base can only be reached by portal, but it is actually a fenced-off corner of the Swamps map. If you use the "demo fly" mode you can see the whole area....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

demo fly:

--------------------------------------------

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
   What about Zaton?

Zaton is called Backwater in StalkerSoup. You can find the Backwater map at top left of the main Zone map.

Last edited by pchester on Thu 6 Aug 2020 - 19:22; edited 1 time in total

Fofyhead likes this post

Back to top Go down
TrueB
Master

PostSubject: Number of maps in the Zone   Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeFri 7 Aug 2020 - 17:52

pchester wrote:
The Clear Sky base can only be reached by portal, but it is actually a fenced-off corner of the Swamps map. If you use the "demo fly" mode you can see the whole area....
demo fly:
Hi Pchester, really apart from the woosh sound, the Clear Sky Base portal is the same as those of the "gauntlet" that MO runs after leaving the 2nd part of CNPP. So it would not count imo. I think the Areas that the loading screen comes up for, are the correct ones. The one with the controller qualifies because the method of escape leads to a loading screen.
Regards and happy hunting, TrueB.
Back to top Go down
pchester
Administrator
pchester

PostSubject: Re: Number of maps in the Zone?   Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeSat 8 Aug 2020 - 14:44

Hi TrueB,
Yes, you are right. The "Entering the Zone" loading screen is probably the best sign that you are entering a new map.

Some of the 'maps' in my list do not have loading screens, so it is likely that they are actually hidden in some corner of the 'parent' map. Having looked again at the three additional areas that I added to my original map list (The Arena, Norman's secret room in Agroprom and the Dead City exit tunnel) they are all actually hidden areas below the "ground" in the main map, so I need to remove them from the list again! Ho hum...
Back to top Go down
TrueB
Master

PostSubject: Number of maps in the Zone   Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeMon 10 Aug 2020 - 10:14

pchester wrote:
Hi TrueB,
Yes, you are right. The "Entering the Zone" loading screen is probably the best sign that you are entering a new map.

Some of the 'maps' in my list do not have loading screens, so it is likely that they are actually hidden in some corner of the 'parent' map. Having looked again at the three additional areas that I added to my original map list (The Arena, Norman's secret room in Agroprom and the Dead City exit tunnel) they are all actually hidden areas below the "ground" in the main map, so I need to remove them from the list again! Ho hum...

lol!
Back to top Go down
Ikaruss
Experienced
Ikaruss

PostSubject: Re: Number of maps in the Zone?   Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeTue 2 Mar 2021 - 2:04

Hi, guys... here Ikaruss again.
I having enjoyed this mod again, although I see that there are not many updates.
Even so, it is enjoyed.

Anyway, I have this query, since I come across this map (I assume old version, 2.1), of an area that is not in these latest versions.

And as I think I already told you, I have been using the reference maps, to adapt a tabletop role-playing game.
I can't show you some mixes, because it happened to be too large files, but...
I just leave you a couple of samples.

Spoiler:

Anyway, back to the previus subject, I'm interested to know about these maps:

Number of maps in the Zone? K98sVT8

Well, only three, the fourth map, I already played it, in its corresponding mod, the Valley of Whispers.

But I would be interested in being able to see and play the remaining maps, the one from Spatial Bubble, the one from Kurchatov 37, and the one from Polissya aka Woodland.
And I can't any info on internet about these maps.

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Sword2012
Administrator
Sword2012

PostSubject: Re: Number of maps in the Zone?   Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeTue 2 Mar 2021 - 3:20

Hi Ikaruss

Thanks for showing us these four maps

pchester is one of the best qualified to comment on them but, as the developers have recently been discussing and rationalising all the maps, there's been no mention of them being included in StalkerSoup at the moment

They may be on course to be assimilated in the future, but this would depend on their copyright, and permissions being requested and granted

There's also the problem of the game still being 32-bit, and how much more can be squeezed out of an already overburdened engine with a 3Gb RAM limit. Which is why the focus is on getting the new 64-bit engine working...

There will be a new update soon, and the devs are working towards it, though there's no set date yet

But one improvement will be the inclusion and descriptions of the 31 Locations (maps) missing from the Encyclopedia, in order to define every map currently in the game... study

Last edited by Sword2012 on Mon 5 Apr 2021 - 14:03; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pchester
Administrator
pchester

PostSubject: Re: Number of maps in the Zone?   Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeTue 2 Mar 2021 - 13:01

StalkerSoup already has 53+ maps to explore, but I think most of us would like to see even more new areas added at some point. However, as Sword says, there are copyright permissions and technical issues to consider, as well as the task of populating new maps with interesting characters and stories.

There are several other STALKER mods that do include different maps, including the original versions of Cordon, Garbage and Radar from before developer GSC were forced to cut them down for the published game. Whether these maps will eventually find their way into StalkerSoup remains to be seen, but hopefully some will appear in player-produced StalkerSoup DLCs in the future.

Incidentally, in the 'Things I Never Knew' department, I just learned from that bastion of Truth and Knowledge Wikipedia® that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. stands for "Scavengers, Trespassers, Adventurers, Loners, Killers, Explorers and Robbers". Seems rather a forced acronym if true, but I suppose it does encompass most of the factions that you are likely to find in the Zone...
Back to top Go down
TrueB
Master

PostSubject: Re the number of maps in the zone   Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeMon 29 Mar 2021 - 12:39

Previous post:

Hi pchester, interesting interpretation of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but in my opinion, E could equally be Environmentalists or Ecologists such as Clear Sky and the Scientists like Sak and Kruglev.
Regards, TrueB.

Last edited by Sword2012 on Mon 29 Mar 2021 - 13:24; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Xtra)
Back to top Go down
Fofyhead
Novice

PostSubject: Re: Number of maps in the Zone?   Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeWed 1 Mar 2023 - 23:31

Ikaruss wrote:
Hi, guys... here Ikaruss again.
I having enjoyed this mod again, although I see that there are not many updates.
Even so, it is enjoyed.

Anyway, I have this query, since I come across this map (I assume old version, 2.1), of an area that is not in these latest versions.

And as I think I already told you, I have been using the reference maps, to adapt a tabletop role-playing game.
I can't show you some mixes, because it happened to be too large files, but...
I just leave you a couple of samples.

Spoiler:

Anyway, back to the previus subject, I'm interested to know about these maps:

Number of maps in the Zone? K98sVT8

Well, only three, the fourth map, I already played it, in its corresponding mod, the Valley of Whispers.

But I would be interested in being able to see and play the remaining maps, the one from Spatial Bubble, the one from Kurchatov 37, and the one from Polissya aka Woodland.
And I can't any info on internet about these maps.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Ikarus, any chance playing these 3 maps? I think they are on OP 2.1? Please write me at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I want information about these maps. Hopefully we may have them someday in SOUP!
Back to top Go down
Sword2012
Administrator
Sword2012

PostSubject: Re: Number of maps in the Zone?   Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeThu 2 Mar 2023 - 1:07

TrueB wrote:
Hi pchester, interesting interpretation of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but in my opinion, E could equally be Environmentalists or Ecologists such as Clear Sky and the Scientists like Sak and Kruglev
Sorry, but I've just spotted this post...  study

When you meet the Black Doctor - or at least his holographic form - for the first time in the secret lab at Chornobyl, and ask him enough questions, he'll explain the reason for the acronym...
Back to top Go down
TrueB
Master

PostSubject: The number of maps in the Zone   Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeSun 5 Mar 2023 - 6:19

Sword2012 wrote:
TrueB wrote:
Hi pchester, interesting interpretation of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but in my opinion, E could equally be Environmentalists or Ecologists such as Clear Sky and the Scientists like Sak and Kruglev
Sorry, but I've just spotted this post...  study

When you meet the Black Doctor - or at least his holographic form - for the first time in the secret lab at Chornobyl, and ask him enough questions, he'll explain the reason for the acronym...

Hi Sword, I do know what the Acronym stands for, and think it appropriate considering the various groups it embraces. Thanks and Best Regards TrueB
Back to top Go down
Fofyhead
Novice

PostSubject: About Techniques map   Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeFri 10 Mar 2023 - 1:35

I have a question, and well lets keep in mind that I have not reached that location yet. But how it is explained the similarities between the map Techniques (LA Dump) and the Dump? As making sense with the lore and the Zone "realism".

Any ideas are welcomed!
I cant wait to reach all those weird maps!
Cheers!
Back to top Go down
pchester
Administrator
pchester

PostSubject: Re: Number of maps in the Zone?   Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeFri 10 Mar 2023 - 13:52

Fofyhead wrote:
I have a question, and well lets keep in mind that I have not reached that location yet. But how it is explained the similarities between the map Techniques (LA Dump) and the Dump? As making sense with the lore and the Zone "realism".

Hi Fofyhead,

Sword2012 is our lore expert, and he can hopefully give you a more precise answer - and correct me if I have any of this wrong. But, as I understand it...

In 1986, a major accident at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant sent clouds of radioactive material across the Ukraine and beyond. A 30 km containment zone was created around the CNPP - the 'Zone of Alienation'. This Zone was ostensibly created to enable a safe clean-up of the Zone. In reality, its primary purpose was to prevent prying eyes from discovering the true extent - and origins - of the disaster.

Entry to, and exit from, the Zone was carefully controlled, with the only access points being military checkpoints at The Cordon in the south and Waiting Room in the north.

As the clean-up progressed, much of the remains were removed to top-secret locations deep inside the U.S.S.R.. Material not deemed worthy of such expensive treatment (mostly radioactive soil and building debris, along with much of the machinery used in the clean-up operation) was moved to designated dumping sites close to each of the Zone exit points.

In the south, this area became known initially as "The Garbage", and later as simply "The Dump". Most of the material dumped here was contaminated soil from the formerly-rich farmlands of the southern CNPP region. The Dump remains an important route into the Zone from the south, and is frequented by members of many factions passing through to other areas.

In the north, close to Waiting Room, another dumping area was created at "Techniques". Once a major crossroads between the many secret facilities in the area, the evacuation following the Incident rendered it of little use other than as a convenient dumping site. Again, the dumped material was primarily soil and machinery, but the presence of those nearby facilities may have resulted in some more sinister materials being included. Possibly because of this, Techniques remains relatively empty of visitors - at least, human ones.

Satellite image showing The Zone of Alienation (my version of it, anyway...):

Last edited by pchester on Fri 10 Mar 2023 - 16:28; edited 1 time in total

Fofyhead likes this post

Back to top Go down
Fofyhead
Novice

PostSubject: Re: Number of maps in the Zone?   Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeFri 10 Mar 2023 - 15:09

Thats great and smooth, it makes sense. Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Sword2012
Administrator
Sword2012

PostSubject: Re: Number of maps in the Zone?   Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeFri 10 Mar 2023 - 17:36

When it comes to mapping and topographical layout, IMO there's no greater source of knowledge, information, and wisdom than pchester, and I can add only a little

These descriptions are taken from the StalkerSoup files, and should give you a better sense of immersion and what to expect later in the game:

Techniques
Once a prestige research establishment, the only remaining signs of a normal, more prosperous life here are an old motor pool facility, a section of railway ending in collapsed tunnels, and some long-abandoned houses and trailers. Techniques became a victim of its own research after a freak accident involving multiple shifting Teleport anomalies literally tore it apart piece by piece, leaving little but a natural dumping ground for radioactive waste and vehicles from the surrounding area

Like the Dump, its accessibility makes it a nexus point for travelers heading north, east, south and west, though the majority of its traffic focuses on getting through as quickly as possible. Which is why stalkers refer to taking the main road from Waiting Room to Research Station, along which heaps of radioactive waste are piled high each side of the road, as 'running the gamma ray gauntlet'...

Excavation Site (formerly Hole in the Ground)
Formed when a sudden confluence of unstable Teleport anomalies, all vying for the same piece of spacetime, wreaked havoc at the entrance and car park of a secure research facility at Techniques. The ensuing devastation that followed necessitated a complete evacuation of personnel and sensitive material from the site

Only after the area had stabilized, and anomalous activity ceased, could a thorough investigation be carried out. It was found that not only had several visitors' and public vehicles taken up new residence underground, but many had disappeared completely. Some were later discovered, mostly intact, in other parts of the Zone, though the vast majority were not recovered

A deep and careful excavation, to find out how far the damage had spread, unearthed a surprising discovery - a single underground static teleport, close to a bus which had formerly served the railway station at another research center involved in similar lines of scientific inquiry, and creating a perfect quantum connection between the two places. However, though certainly interesting, and potentially useful, it was considered far too unorthodox, let alone risky, to be used by government personnel, and was eventually fenced off for safety

When the Techniques site was closed down permanently after the 2006 incident, and turned into a radioactive rubbish dump, this underground bolthole became a popular refuge for bandits, who were happy to accept these dark, damp, and dirty lodgings for the convenience of its built-in 'emergency exit'...

Fofyhead likes this post

Back to top Go down
TrueB
Master

PostSubject: Re: Number of maps in the zone.    Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitimeTue 14 Mar 2023 - 10:44

Quote :
Previous post:
Hi Sword, in my opinion, it may help to look at other map mods, as there are lots of new places been modded which include parts that are also in Stalkersoup, and could be inserted into future DLC perhaps.  Whilst eg a new map would be welcome, I wonder if a new map could have a complete boundary marker eg a red line round each on the main map areas such as where the whole of Cordon abuts Garbage, for above ground locations, like many maps do in real life. 

Whenever coming across the Hole-In-The -Ground, MO drops a GPS marker to relocate it. 
The plans provided by pchester of underground levels are superb and very helpful. Even the plan MO gets at the beginning of the game, help navigate an otherwise difficult starter area to meet important important characters.

A new map has been a topic regarding Stalkersoup's areas for as long as I have played, yet not changed much except for the increase in areas. One thing that makes map design different is that players don't know some locations until they reach them.

I think the markers might not share show,  until Players get access to them. This could also apply to Esc F2 quick travel, to prevent new players from accessing them and possibly accidentally affecting play when the time arrives for their need to access such areas.

Thanks and Regards TrueB

Last edited by TrueB on Fri 17 Mar 2023 - 11:14; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Extra added)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Number of maps in the Zone?   Number of maps in the Zone? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Number of maps in the Zone?
Page 1 of 1